PL EN DE

THE SETTLEMENT IN DŁUGIE

The settlement in the (Burgwall in German) is located on a moraine hill in the northern part of a peninsula separating Lake Lipie from the south of Lake Słowa. Presumably, in prehistorical period, or even in the Middle Ages, the settlement occupied an island washed by the waters of the lakes.

The settlement has a length of about 200 meters and is 90 meters wide. On the north side are the remains of embankments, the area on the southern side falls gently, and on the east there are the hills of moraines.

There are traces of activities in the place dating back from prehistoric times. Later on, it was a Slavic gord, associated perhaps with the castellany of Santok. At the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth century a castle was erected here by the von Bornstedt family. They owned numerous estates, including Długie, Ługi, Ogardy and Pielice. The highest point of the settlement was the knights' court, and the lower - the borough, representing its economic base. The castle's destruction is associated with the invasion of Ladislaus I of Poland in 1326. In 1337, Długie, and other surrounding villages, have still remained abandoned. This place was later neither inhabited, nor used for military purposes.

Archaeological research

In 2011, archaeological research took place within the settlement, during which fragments of pottery, pugging, tiles and bricks, flint chips, metal objects and sintered slag were discovered.

The ceramic material found in Długie derives from several periods. The oldest fragments of pottery date back to the period of the Neolithic / Early Bronze, Lusatian culture and the Roman period. There is also early medieval pottery dated to the X-XI century. However, the largest number of ceramics dates from the turn of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. It is the so-called gray pottery, which proves the existence of a knight's castle here, founded in the period of colonization of these lands by the Margraves of Brandenburg. The metal objects are iron nails with a radiused head, coming out of the roof covered with shingles, as well as fragments of the bezel and perhaps scabbard fittings. In contrast, fragments of bricks and tiles excavated here are a testimony to the existence of a brick building in the Middle Ages, probably a knights court. An interesting discovery are also certain amounts of sinter slag, originating probably from the forge working for the needs of the castle.

Legends connected with the settlement

Numerous legends are connected with the settlement. One of them says a robber knight's castle was located here. The knight Z grodziskiem związane są liczne legendy. According to one of them, a robber knight castle was built here. The knight attacked the merchants traveling a nearby trail. A hundred years ago, the outlines of the castle's walls and moat were clearly visible. Another legend tells of a wanderer, who captured the robber knight and then cast a terrible spell. As a result, the castle turned into a huge stone, and all who were there, including the knight and maidens of the castle, petrified.

Another legend tells about some young ladies of the castle, who were cursed. Once upon a time, two beautiful women came across a wanderer in the forest asking him to come to that place at midnight to rescue them. He was encouraged with jewels to do so. But when the right time came, the wanderer sat still in the tavern drinking strong liquor. When he finally dared to go to the place, it was too late. Crossing the forest around the castle he heard the sounds of trumpets and trombones and sweet singing in the distance. But at midnight came the pitiful cries and complaints. To this day, the brides of the castle have not been rescued and must wait another century until the are saved...